Summertime

August 29, 2009

Dear Mateo,
What a sweet late summer day! Papa and I slept in and had a lazy morning. Then I headed over to the Saturday Market to hear Kristin (our doula) in her debut singing performance. One of the pieces she sang was George Gershwin's "Summertime."

Kristin has a lovely voice, but what made her performance special was how expressive she is. She was so playful - smiling, shrugging her shoulders or winking at the audience at different points in the song - as though she was letting us all in on a secret.

Four little girls danced in front of the stage, and you kicked and pressed your body outward, wanting to dance, too, maybe, so I patted you in time to the music.

After hearing Kristin sing, I wandered through the market, admiring the crafts and picking out produce. Several people commented that I looked strong and happy, though I am obviously "about to pop." I do feel strong and happy. I love being pregnant. I love being pregnant with YOU, Mateo.

One of the vendors was selling handmade picture frames, and I picked out one for this photo of your Grammy, my mom, playing the piano that we now have in our house. Grammy learned to play on this piano, and so did I. Maybe one day you will learn on it, too.

It's summertime, and the livin' does feel easy today. And one of these mornings, little one, you will rise up singing.

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Oh, Your mamma's rich
And your daddy's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky

But until that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With your daddy and mammy standing by

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Pocket